Kids Run for Fun
Children ages 1-12 are invited to run on Friday evenings during the summer at Illinois Wesleyan University's track or Parkside Elementary's cross-country course. This family program is non-competitive and intended to help teach kids that exercising and running can be fun. Children will be grouped according to age with the younger ones running first (parents may run with young kids). Check in starts at 5:30 pm and the first run begins at 6:00 pm
- $10 - unlimited weekly attendance and T-shirt
- $5 - unlimited weekly attendance (no T-shirt)
- $1 - weekly drop-in (no T-shirt)
Learn more about the program by reviewing the Program Overview. If you have additional questions, would like to volunteer or are interested in becoming a sponsor, please contact program director, Joe Brannan
Announcing Marathon Readers
The Kids Run for Fun, along with the Normal Public Library and Bloomington Public Library want to encourage kids to Run and Read this summer in our Marathon Readers Program! Our goal is for kids to keep active this summer, both body and mind. Here's how it will work:
- Kids track their running and reading on a training log. 1/2 hour of reading = 1 mile. The goal is for kids to try and read (or run) 26 books/miles throughout the summer to equal 26.2 miles.
- Kids can also aim for 5k, 10k or half marathon reading times. Since a 1/2 hour reading = 1 mile, a 5k (3.1 miles) would be 90 minutes of total reading. Note: You don't have to read for 90 minutes at one time, just an accumulation of 90 minutes.
- Fun Run Fridays are a great way to get running, but we also encourage kids to run during the week.
- We won't be collecting the logs, we'll go on the honor system this summer. At trophy night we will hand out prizes to kids who complete a half marathon or marathon of running this summer.
- We encourage kids to to sign up for their local library summer reading program - Normal Public Library program and Bloomington Public Library program.
Thanks for participating and have fun! Share your stories, photos of running/reading on our Facebook page and we'll pick weekly photo winners!